Second flower park of the day.
Shikisai no oka is a well-known flower viewing spot in Biei during summer season. Covers a huge land area of 7 hectares in size, approximately 30 different species of flowers are grown here, creating a magnificent landscape of beautiful flowers. No admission fee required, but visitors are encouraged to donate 200 yen which will go towards park maintenance fund. To me, strolling/walking is the best way to admire this panoramic scenery if time and weather permits. One can also choose to ride on a tractor bus, buggy or cart to tour the park more efficiently, but for a nominal fee.
Unfortunately due to bad weather conditions (downpour became heavier), we could only cover a portion of the park. Late July to early August should be the best time to visit this park, when most of the flowers are in their full bloom stage, covering the gaps between the rows. What definitely brightened us up was this huge field of sunflowers located at one end of the park - vibrant colour of sunflower imparting a sense of warmth and positive energy in this wet weather! To me, this was the highlight of this flower park which definitely made this trip worthwhile.
Shops are located at the entrance of the flower park.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits (e.g. potatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, melons, etc) grown locally were on sale.
- Food stall selling snacks and meals, such as curry rice/udon, croquette, etc to choose from.
Shikisai no oka 四季彩之丘, 四季彩の丘
Opening hours by season:
- April to May, October: 0900 - 1700 hrs
- June to September: 0830 - 1800 hrs
- November: 0900 - 1630 hrs
- December to February: 0900 - 1600 hrs
- March: 0900 - 1630 hrs
View Larger Map
How to get there?
(1) Twinkle Bus Biei Takushin-kan course, makes a 15 mins stop at this attraction. Three trips per day from July to August. Only 1 trip per day in June, weekends in September and October. Fee = 500 yen.
(2) Approx 30 mins walk from Bibaushi JR Station (美马牛駅).
|- Bought a postcard depicting Shikisai no oka -|