Saturday, December 29, 2018

Hokkaido Revisit 2017 三回目の北海道の旅 - Shikisai no oka 四季彩の丘

Revisited on 15.10.2017 (Sun)
Previous post: https://hsuchia.blogspot.com/2013/03/hokkaido-summer-2012-shikisai-no-oka.html



Accomplished! When I visited Shikisai no oka with my family in 2012 during summer, weather was not at its best as it was drizzling/showering for most part of the day and we could not explore this huge flower park extensively. A returning visit to Shikisai no oka was added to my to-do list since then and I could finally tick this item off during my study trip in Higashikawa-cho in Oct 2017. This time round I was blessed with favourable weather and I enjoyed myself thoroughly, surrounded by colourful seasonal flowers in a countryside landscape.






Equally stunning. Like most people, I would think that summer is the best time to visit Furano and Biei as it is the peak blooming season for its signature lavender fields and other flower parks. I actually beg to differ after this visit during the relatively cooling and less crowded autumn season. Visited Shikisai no oka on the second weekend of October and I was totally blown away by the equally stunning flower-carpeted fields here. Upon arriving here by my rental bicycle, I could immediately relate to the familiar pale yellow colored country style building which housed the restaurant (on the second floor), souvenir shop and snack stalls, and the two iconic mascots, made up of bales of straw, still standing faithfully at the same spot to welcome their visitors.

Do you remember me? Look at the field of yellow mustard flowers behind me!
Finally revisited this place after a five years hiatus.
Symbol of optimism. Rows of equal width, each occupied by a different colored plant, transformed the hilly landscape into a vibrant and magical looking rainbow carpet. Was hoping very much to revive the breathtaking moment of witnessing a brightly lit sunflower field - a memorable scene which I could still vividly remember till now. To my surprise, the sunflower field was still beaming cheerfully in the month of October. Based on the flower calendar published on its website, sunflower (known otherwise as himawari ひまわり in Japanese) can be sighted from late Jun to mid Jul, Aug and from mid Sep to mid Oct. Apart from that, visitors can also admire yellow flowers of mustard plants, which blossom exclusively during the autumn season between mid Sep to late Oct in Shikisai no oka.

Yet again, a memorable episode concluded at Shikisai no oka!




Not forgetting to grab a lavender flavoured soft serve cone before wrapping up today's visit!
======

Shikisai no oka 四季彩の丘
〒071-0473 北海道上川郡美瑛町新星第三
Operating hours:
- Apr to May, Oct: 0900 - 1700 hrs
- Jun to Sep: 0830 - 1800 hrs
- Nov: 0900 - 1630 hrs
- Dec to Feb: 0900 - 1600 hrs
- Mar: 0900 - 1630 hrs
https://www.shikisainooka.jp/

How to get there?

(1) By foot. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from Bibaushi JR Station 美馬牛駅 to Shikisai no oka.

(2) By rental bicycle. Just a minute walk from Bibaushi JR Station, there is a local tour agency named Yamanoya 山の屋 offering rental bicycle services between May to Oct. For my trip, I utilised the rental bicycle and followed a cycling map to explore Panorama Road. In the recommended route, I passed by Bibaushi Elementary School 美馬牛小学校, Shikisai no oka, Takushinkan, Fureai Farm ふらあい牧場, Sanai no oka Observatory 三愛の丘展望台, Shinei no oka Observatory 新栄の丘展望台 and Christmas Tree クリスマスツリーの木 and the entire route took me about 4 hours.
To get to Yamanoya, do not exit the train station through the waiting area/main building. Exit from the platform which is opposite to the waiting area/main building. Upon reaching the road, turn right and Yamanoya will be within sight in 20 meters. 
Yamanoya: http://www.yamagoya.jp/index-bike%20season.htm



======

Commemorative stamp:


No comments:

Post a Comment