Monday, November 13, 2017

Tohoku 2016 東北の旅 - Juniko 十二湖, Aoike 青池, Wakitsubo no ike 沸壺の池, Ochiguchi no ike 落口の池

Visited 18.05.2016 (Wed)


Be captivated by this mysterious blue pond.
Embrace nature. Shirakami Sanchi 白神山地 is a registered UNESCO World Heritage Site and it covers the area from the southwestern part of Aomori Prefecture to the northwestern part of Akita Prefecture. Juniko 十二湖 is a nature reserve situated at the foot of Shirakami Sanchi and is located in Fukaura-machi 深浦町. Though the name literally means twelve lakes, Juniko is actually made up of 33 lakes, of various shapes and sizes, with Aoike 青池 (otherwise known as the blue pond) being the most well known lake among all. For my trip to Juniko, I took the direct bus heading for Juniko from Furofushi Onsen 不老ふ死温泉 (where I stayed in the night before) and alighted at the last stop (Ou Juniko 奧十二湖). Alternatively, the nearest train station is Juniko JR Station 十二湖駅 and regular bus services depart from here for Ou Juniko as well.



Choose. There are various trekking routes, covering different sections of Juninho, that visitors can embark on to explore this nature reserve. Followed the recommended route which begins at Ou Juniko bus stop and covers sighting of Ketoba no ike 鶏頭場の池, Aoike 青池, Wakitsubo no ike 沸壺の池, Ochiguchi no ike 落口の池 and eventually returns to the starting point. This recommended route takes about 60 minutes to complete; majority of the trail passes through the forest with fairly flat terrain and is adequately shaded from the sun.






Breathe deeply. My expedition started off by walking alongside Ketoba no ike 鶏頭場の池. As the name suggests, the shape of the lake resembles the head of a chicken (when viewed from an elevation). Lush greenery surrounds the lake and I can imagine how beautiful the area would have been when the vegetation are decorated by autumn foliage. Along the way, there are clear directional signs set up to provide guidance so it is unlikely to get lost during trekking. Caught sight of several signboards with interesting catch phrases such as shinkokyu 深呼吸 (breathe deeply) and seseragi せせらぎ (murmuring sound from the stream), reminding visitors to stop by every now and then to enjoy the natural surroundings with our senses. 









Magical. Next was Aoike 青池, the most stunning lake among all. For those who have been to Hokkaido, you may have visited or heard of Shirogane Aoi ike 白金青い池, a pond filled with mysterious sky blue coloured waters, located in Biei-cho. Aoike of Juniko is much smaller in size in comparison but darker in colour - close to sapphire blue. What was mind blowing as well was the clarity of the lake; it was so transparent that I could peered through the water to see the fallen tree branches beneath the calm surface. The effect of light shinning upon it created a glittering effect and the entire landscape felt so surreal to the point it gave me goosebumps. Stayed around the observation deck for as long as I could, marveling at this picturesque scenery from various angles.







Listen. I entered a forest surrounded by sturdy buna trees and accompanied by melodious chirping of birds. Reached my next checkpoint - Wakitsubo no ike 沸壺の池 which is less bluish but equally stunning like Aoike. Traced the roots of katsura trees lined on the circumference of the lake and listened carefully to therapeutic sounds of underground waters gushing out from the sides of the lake. The beauty of nature has yet again left me speechless! 





Relax. Emerged from the woods and came to my final pit stop of this nature trail - Juniko-an 十二湖庵, a wooden hut utilised as a rest place for visitors. Upon finding a seat, the staff greeted me warmly and served me a tray with a bowl of macha, prepared using the water collected from Wakitsubo no ike, and a small sweet to go with it. As I sat down here to quench my thirst, I relaxed my eyes by looking at the emerald green Ochiguchi no ike 落口の池 from a distance. After a quick break, I walked along the side of the road and returned to my starting point of this nature trail to conclude today's expedition. I have to say this was an excellent introduction to Juniko as there are a lot more to discover here (remember that there are 33 lakes in total and I only covered 4 this time round). At the back of my mind, I was already thinking when I can return again to embark on other trekking routes to explore this nature reserve more extensively...








======

Juniko 十二湖 - Aoike 青池, Wakitsubo no ike 沸壺の池, Ochiguchi no ike 落口の池
http://www.town.fukaura.lg.jp/jyunikonomori/mori.html
* Take note that Juniko-an 十二湖庵 is usually closed on Wednesdays.



How to get there?

(1) By bus from Juniko JR Station 十二湖駅.
From the bus stop opposite Juniko JR Station 十二湖駅, take Konan Bus Juniko Line 弘南バス十二湖線 heading towards Ou Juniko 奧十二湖.
* Do note that this bus service is only operational between mid Apr to end Nov.


======

Video: Enjoy Aoike with your eyes and ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment