Thursday, November 16, 2017

Tohoku 2016 東北の旅 - Senjojiki JR Station 千畳敷駅, Senjojiki 千畳敷

Visited 18.05.2016 (Wed)




Senjojiki JR Station 千畳敷駅, is an unmanned train station on the Gono line 五能線, in Fukaura-machi 深浦町. As the name implies, this train station is a stone throw away from Senjojiki 千畳敷, a coastal terrace which runs alongside the Sea of Japan. This unique landscape is said to be created from an uplifting of land during a major earthquake which occurred in 1792. Apart from local trains, specific Limited Express Resort Shirakami リゾートしらかみ stop here for about 15 minutes, allowing passengers to alight the train to come close to this bedrock beach during this short interval.











Wonder of nature. For my trip, I grabbed the opportunity to visit Senjojiki via Resort Shirakami 3 during the rail journey from Fukaura 深浦駅 to Goshogawara 五所川原駅. Senjoiki means "a thousand tatami mats" and this name came about because the bedrock beach looked like it was joined together by several thousand mats. This was my first time I had set foot on a bedrock type of beach and I am amazed by this wonder of nature presented right in front of eyes. I could truly relate this scene to the outcome of plate tectonics and constant weathering/erosion which I have learnt during Geography lessons in high school. I walked carefully on the uneven beach till I reached the coastline. Standing at the edge of the coastline, I was mesmerised by the near cobalt blue colour of the glittering water and was cooled down by the strong breeze that swept inland. In the midst of day dreaming, I was awoken by a horn that was sounded from the train. This was to inform passengers to make their way back to the train as it was slated for departure soon. Took one last look at the beautiful surroundings before strolling towards the train to continue my rail cruise northwards.







Trivia. During my trip to Wakayama Prefecture 和歌山県 in Mar 2017, I visited another attraction with the same name Senjojiki, located in Shirahama-cho 白浜町. What makes Shirahama-cho's version different is its coast is made up of softer sand stone and has undergone constant erosion by waves swept in from Pacific Ocean over several centuries.

======

Senjojiki 千畳敷
西津軽郡深浦町北金ヶ沢榊原
Free admission
https://www.aptinet.jp/Detail_display_00000072.html?id=00000072&t=0

No comments:

Post a Comment