|- Shiretoko-go and Sounkyo-go Twinkle buses (from JR Hokkaido website) -|
Tip: Try as much as possible to reserve and purchase the bus tickets early (stated as 3 days beforehand in small prints), preferably at Twinkle Plaza which can be found at major train stations (Sapporo, Asahikawa, Obihiro, Hakodate, Kushiro and Abashiri). Did try to purchase the tickets on the day itself and fortunately was allowed to do that. As this bus service is exclusive to JR passengers only, you may be asked to show your JR Pass or tickets prior purchase.
Made use of three out of five available routes for Twinkle Bus Shiretoko-go. The fee for each route cost 1,000 yen.
(1) Shibecha - Kawayu Line:
- SL Fuyu-no-Shitusugen Train from Kushiro arrives at Shibecha JR Station at 1224 hrs.
- Allows passengers to transfer to this bus that departs at 1240 hrs.
- Attractions covered: Lake Mashu and Mt Iou
(2) Kawayu - Utoro Line:
- Same bus serving Shibecha-Kawayu Line, therefore one do not need to alight or change to another bus if you are continuing the journey to Utoro Onsen.
- Attraction covered: Oshinkoshin Falls
(3) Utoro - Shiretoko-shari Line:
- Bus pick up passengers from hotels in Utoro Onsen between 0735 to 0745 hrs.
- Arrive at Shiretoko-shari JR Station at 0835 hrs to catch Ryuhyo Norokko Train that departs at 0855 hrs.
JR Hokkaido website: http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/index.html
Shiretoko-go & Sounkyo-go Twinkle buses (2013 edition): http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/pdf/e/ml201212.pdf