Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Tohoku 2016 東北の旅 - Towada-ko / Lake Towada 十和田湖, Otome no zo 乙女の像

Visited 21.05.2016 (Sat)



Sequel. After sighting of Lake Towada from an elevation at Kankodai 瞰湖台, I decided to go for the alternative option of lake viewing at grade level (especially after the positive experience gained from Tazawa-ko a few days ago). Boarded the JR Bus Tohoku from Shimoutarube and alighted at Towada-ko Station 十和田湖駅, the last stop of the bus route. I had about 20 minutes to spare before hopping onto the next bus to return to Oirase Keiryu Hotel. Due to limited time, my original plan was to just to make my way to the water side and take a peek at the lake. However, after checking Google map, I decided to take some risk to venture slightly further in search of the statue of Otome (Otome no zo 乙女の像 or maiden statue), commonly referred to as the symbol of Lake Towada.




Otome no zo. Lake Towada is a crater lake which measures about 46 km in circumference and 327 m in depth, making it the third deepest lake in Japan and also the largest lake on Honshu island of Japan. Referred to as the symbol of Lake Towada, Otome no zo is a bronze statue built in 1953 by Kotaro Takamura 高村光太郎 (1883 - 1956), a sculptor and poet. This statue, which is his last completed masterpiece before his demise, depicts two nude women facing each other and almost holding on/touching each other's left hand. Different from Tatsuko-zo which is erected within Lake Tazawa iteslf, the statue of Otome is located inland.







Clear. Along the way to see the statue, I could not help but to slow down my pace every now and then to admire and capture photographs of the beautiful lake scenery. The lake is enclosed by mountain ranges that are covered with dense vegetation, and the water is so clear that I could make out the bed of the lake. Alternatively, visitors can also choose to hop onto a excursion boat here to embark on a lake cruise - either from here to Nenokuchi 子ノ口 or a round trip. Having tried both ways of admiring Lake Towada - at an elevation from Kankodai 瞰湖台 and at grade level, I concluded that the view seen from a higher altitude was way more scenic and breathtaking.



Missed the bus! Upon reaching the statue, I realised that it was only 8 minutes away from my bus departure timing! Immediately, I set off for the bus station hopping that I could still catch the bus. Unfortunately, I arrived at the bus station 2 minutes late and the bus had already departed (punctually as usual). While trying to catch my breath from the run I did to catch the bus, I recollected my thoughts to decide on the pathforward. I could wait for the next bus departing an hour later but I would not be able to catch the connecting bus to Towada Art Center from Oirase Keiryu Hotel (Yakeyama bus stop). Wanted very much to visit Towada Art Center and I decided to take a taxi back to the hotel to catch up on time (so happened that I spotted one right in front of me). Eventually, my itinerary was back in shape as I managed to return to Oirase Keiryu Hotel to collect my luggage and board the desired bus heading for Towada Art Center timely. In return for that, I had to pay a hefty price for the mistake made as the entire taxi fare amount to about 6,000 yen (75 SGD) for the journey from Lake Towada to Oirase Keiryu Hotel! Nevertheless, such hiccups are inevitable and I try to perceive them as valuable lessons learnt during a trip.


Bought a melon flavoured soft serve to cool down.

======

Towada-ko / Lake Towada 十和田湖, Otome no zo 乙女の像
http://towadako.or.jp/rekishi-densetsu/otomenozou/
Lake Towada excursion boat: http://www.toutetsu.co.jp/ship.html



How to get there? 

(1) By JR Bus Tohoku and walk.
- From Aomori Ekimae Bus Terminal Bus Stop 11 or Shin Aomori JR Station East Exit Bus Stop 1, board JR Bus Tohoku Mizumi-go みずうみ号 heading for Hakkoda Ropeway, Oirase Keiryu and Towada-ko.
- From Hachinohe JR Station Bus Stop, board JR Bus Tohoku Oirase-go おいらせ号 heading for Towada-ko.
- From Yakeyama bus stop 焼山 (nearest to Oirase Keiryu Hotel), board either JR Bus Tohoku Oirase-go おいらせ号 or Mizumi-go みずうみ号 heading for Towada-ko.
Alight at the last stop, Towada-ko Station 十和田湖駅. Otome no zo is about 800 m away from the bus station.
Bus schedule: https://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/route/detail.php?r=45&rc=11

No comments:

Post a Comment