Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tohoku 2016 東北の旅 - Towada-ko / Lake Towada Kankodai Observation Deck 十和田湖 瞰湖台

Visited 21.05.2016 (Sat)






Ground level vs altitude. There are two ways to admire Towada-ko (Lake Towada) either on ground level or an elevation, and each has its own pros and cons. I managed to view Towada-ko from both perspectives. Personally I prefer to view such natural landform from an elevation in order to capture a better overview of the lake and its surroundings, and at times even able to make out its shape at sufficiently high altitudes. One of the best spot to embrace a panoramic view of Towada-ko in Kankodai 瞰湖台. However, in order to gain access to such breathtaking scenery, one will have to scale some heights via various means. The most convenient and least physically taxing method is by ropeway or cable car, if it is available. Unfortunately, such mode of transportation is not offered for this particular observation deck for Towada-ko. There are no buses that stop by Kankodai and the nearest bus stop (Shimoutarube 下宇樽部) is situated at the foot of the observation deck, separated by a 2 km distance. After checking the bus schedule and some pondering, I decided to pay this place a visit when I am visiting Oirase Keiryu.



Embarkation. Boarded JR Bus Tohoku heading for Towada-ko as per plan at Yakeyama 焼山 (the bus stop nearest to Oirase Keiryu Hotel 奥入瀬渓流ホテル which I stayed overnight at) on the morning of Day 10. About half an hour later, I arrived at Shimoutarube 下宇樽部. Just before I alighted the bus, I confirmed with the driver whether this was the nearest bus stop for Kankodai. He nodded and at the same time warned me that it would be a long walk and whether I was okay with that. I reassured him that I was aware of the arduous climb that lies ahead. Spotted the directional sign pointing to the road that led to Kankodai and began my journey on foot.



Lone. There is no dedicated pedestrian walkway on either side of the road, therefore I had to walk along the road shoulder. Terrain was pretty flat at the start and my legs could feel the gradual increase in gradient along the way. The surrounding dense vegetation provided shade from the sun and the cooling weather made walking less painful and more bearable. Throughout the entire journey, I was the sole traveller making my way up by foot, while every now and then, I would see cars driving past me heading for the same destination. About 40 minutes later, an observation deck finally came into my line of sight and I made the last push. When I finally stepped foot onto Kankodai and saw the scenery of Towada-ko at an altitude of 583 m high, I could only exclaim that the journey to here was extremely worthwhile.





Speechless. Weather was exceptionally good on the day of my visit. The calm and peaceful lake became a natural piece of mirror for the clear sky and it was difficult to make out whether the deep blue water was a result of mirror effect or its original colour. Towada-ko is the largest crater lake on the Honshu island of Japan and it has a unique outline which looked like the letter M from a bird's eye view. The lake spans across the borders of Aomori Prefecture and Akita Prefecture and is drained by Oirase-gawa (Oirase river), another well known scenic nature spot in Aomori Prefecture. Love the contrast between the blue lake and green vegetation cover on its circumference and I could imagine how picturesque it would be if the lake is decorated by mesmerising shades of autumn foliage in October. Spent about 20 minutes here to admire the panoramic view and enjoy the occasional breeze, before embarking on the descend to catch my bus.





====== 

Towada-ko Kankodai 十和田湖 瞰湖台
http://towadako.or.jp/sansaku-map/utarube/

How to get there? 

(1) By JR Bus Tohoku and walk.

- From Aomori Ekimae Bus Terminal Bus Stop 11 or Shin Aomori JR Station East Exit Bus Stop 1, board JR Bus Tohoku Mizumi-go みずうみ号 heading for Hakkoda Ropeway, Oirase Keiryu and Towada-ko.
- From Hachinohe JR Station Bus Stop, board JR Bus Tohoku Oirase-go おいらせ号 heading for Towada-ko.
- From Yakeyama bus stop 焼山 (nearest to Oirase Keiryu Hotel), board either JR Bus Tohoku Oirase-go おいらせ号 or Mizumi-go みずうみ号 heading for Towada-ko.

Alight at Shimoutarube下宇樽部. It takes another 40 minutes walk to arrive at the observation deck. Do be mindful that there are some up slope on the road to Kankodai.





JR Bus Tohoku: https://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/route/detail.php?r=45&rc=11
* Note that the bus fare is covered by nationwide JR pass and JR East rail passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment