Aso JR Station, on Hohi main line. This train station was refurbished to blend in with the natural landscape and the majestic Mt Aso. Was greeted by good weather and awed by an unobstructed view of the mountainous area upon exiting from the train station.
Currently, there are several sightseeing trains that make a stop at this train station.
- Aso Boy!, commutes between Kumamoto and Miyaji.
- Kyushu Odan Tokkyu, commutes between Beppu and Hitoyoshi.
- Seven Stars in Kyushu, the luxurious train which was introduced in 2013.
(1) Bus stop to Mt Aso and Kurokawa Onsen.
- Sanko Bus 産交バス
Board the Aso Crater line bus (阿蘇火口線) heading for Mt Aso West Station (阿蘇山西駅). Fee = 650 yen.
Timetable (in Japanese): http://www.kyusanko.co.jp/sankobus/aso_sen/
- Kyushu Odan Bus 九州横断バス
A very useful bus service that commutes between Kumamoto and Beppu, and stops at Aso JR Station, Mt Aso West Station (ropeway station), Kurokawa Onsen and Yufuin. Utiltised this bus service from Mt Aso West Station to visit Kurokawa Onsen. On the following day, I took the same bus from Kurokawa Onsen to Yufuin.
- Kumamoto > Aso JR Station > Kurokawa Onsen > Yufuin > Beppu: http://www.kyusanko.co.jp/sankobus/english/table/odantt1.pdf
- Beppu > Yufuin > Kurokawa Onsen > Aso JR Station > Kumamoto: http://www.kyusanko.co.jp/sankobus/english/table/odantt2.pdf