Friday, September 8, 2017

Tohoku 2015 東北の旅 - Aji no Sapporo Onishi 味の札幌 大西

Visited 15.10.2015 (Thu)



B grade gourmet. After visiting ASPAM (Aomori Prefecture Sightseeing Product Mansion) to capture an overview of the city in the evening, dinner was next on our itinerary. I am always on the look out of B-grade gourmet food when I visit different prefectures and miso curry milk ramen 味噌カレー牛乳ラーメン, which was featured as one of Aomori's specialty, caught my attention the most. From the pictures, the color of the soup looks quite similar to the curries I had back at home; instead of the dark brown color which is typical of Japanese curries. Aji no Sapporo 味の札幌 is a ramen shop which has been around in Aomori city since 1968 and also the creator behind this one of its kind ramen flavour in Japan. While writing this blog post, I discovered a trivia about the origin of miso curry milk ramen online. The creation of this soul food exclusive to Aomori actually stemmed from a random remark made by middle and high school students. I supposed no one would have anticipated that this unique combination of flavours would become so well received by the locals and even rose to the status of B grade gourmet food since its introduction on the menu in 1978.





Mellow. Currently, there are five shops offering miso curry milk ramen in Aomori city - two of them within walking distance from the main train station (Aji no Sapporo Onishi 大西 and Aji no Sapporo Asari 浅利). Came to Aji no Sapporo Onishi, which appeared to be more highly rated and popular one among the two. Apart from its signature miso curry milk ramen [830 yen], diners can also find a variety of toppings (such as char siew, corn and even natto) and soup base (such as shio, shoyu, curry and milk) in its menu.

My bowl of miso curry milk ramen was topped with char siew, wakame (seaweed), menma (bamboo shoots), beansprouts and a slice of butter. The orange red colour of the soup was already very appealing and relatable, and I could not wait to take a sip of the piping hot soup. Since Aji no Sapporo's ramen is Hokkaido style (Sapporo is well known for its miso based ramen), I was expecting the soup may be on the saltier side. Addition of curry spices and milk did make the soup more mellow and creamier, but the overall flavour lacked the punch to impress my picky tastebuds. Seeing the word "curry" and looking at the appearance of the soup, I would naturally compare this to the "lemak" (coconut milk) version that I grew up with. Therefore, I was hopping for a stronger curry flavour infused soup. Even though this bowl of miso curry milk ramen did not stand out despite the uncommon combination of flavours, I think it is as good as the usual ones I had savour before in Japan. Still worth a try!





======

Aji no Sapporo Onishi 味の札幌 大西
〒030-0862 青森市古川1-15-6 大西クリエイトビル1F
Operating hours: 1100 - 2130 hrs

How to get there? 
(1) By foot. About 10 minutes walk from Aomori JR Station 青森駅.

No comments:

Post a Comment